The next pattern to be crossed off my #2017MakeNine list is the Lonetree Jacket by Allie Olson! I was so excited when this pattern was released because I love this style of jacket/vest and it fills a spot in my handmade wardrobe.
My first inclination was to make the vest, so I went with it. Last year I made a Dropje vest for a trip to Iceland. It turned out really well, although not without it’s imperfections. I wanted to redeem those imperfections and more or less prove to myself how much I have learned in that time frame. And, y’all, I’m so impressed with the finished product! Another pattern where I didn’t have completely horrifying mistakes? Yes, please!
Now, this vest took a little longer than I had anticipated (I bought the fabric back in December) due to purchasing notions that completely mismatched the fabric, so the project sat a bit while I waited to for the correct pieces to arrive. Despite that, this went together so well thanks to two things: first, Allie’s clear and concise instructions and second, the extremely detailed sewalong (which really ties to the first reason). I love being able to pair the illustrations with pictures of the steps to be fully confident in each step. Also, completing each step was so satisfying between seeing the pockets come together to look crisp and professional and adding the drawstring casing and having it all line up perfectly. Seriously, I’m elated over how this turned out.
Getting into the details, I sewed a size small with zero adjustments using this Robert Kaufman twill from fabric.com. I considered adding length and grading out at the hips, but ultimately decided against it based on the finished garment measurements and I’m happy with that decision.
I was initially going to use eyelets instead of buttonholes because they’d be much easier than fighting with my machine, but I couldn’t find (read, didn’t try to find) the antiqued eyelets to match the snaps. It all worked out, though, because I successfully sewed two button holes with ZERO issues. The last time I attempted button holes was back in December and it went poorly, so I was incredibly stressed when I was adding these. I’ve had so many issues with my automatic button hole on my machine that I’ve really just been avoiding them at all costs. Maybe the time spent avoiding them has helped and now the machine wants to work properly? Hopefully that’s it because the next few patterns that I want to try and am currently working on involve buttonholes.
I bought my zipper from Zipper and Thread. They were the only site that had the exact zipper that I wanted: #5 YKK zipper, color #525 (thanks to the trusty YKK color card I asked for, for my birthday!) and antiqued aluminum zipper teeth. I was able to get it cut down to 26″ for only 25 cents more! Also, shipping was incredibly fast. I ordered first thing Friday morning and I received a shipping notification an hour and a half later and had the zippers in hand a couple days after that. You can’t ask for much better turn around time than that!
The cording and cord stops came from Pacific Trimming as suggested by Allie in the sewalong. However, I purchased 4mm cord stops (instead of the 6mm suggested) because the cording I purchased was also 4mm. I emailed PT before I purchased the cording asking which color would best coordinate with my zipper color. They were extremely helpful, because I definitely would have purchased the wrong color cording again. It doesn’t match the main fabric exactly, but it’s worlds better than the first one I purchased.
My intention was to finish the seams with bias tape (similarly to Abbey’s from Sew Charleston), but when the tape arrived, I found out that I purchased spaghetti cord in the exact same fabric instead of bias tape. I didn’t feel like ordering the correct thing and having to wait even longer to finish the vest, but that’s what I get for not paying enough attention. However, now I have a pretty Liberty cord tied around my scissors so I don’t lose them when I’m sewing. 🙂
I’m so happy with how this turned out. I feel like I can only say that so much, so here’s a picture showing just how excited I am about this vest!
I briefly mentioned back in December how I’m trying to be more intentional with the pieces that I make because there had been a lot of items that I’d sew up really quickly, but they would never get worn and have since been donated. Since focusing on patterns that have quality construction and instructions and are pieces that I’ll actually wear it has really changed my attitude towards my handmade makes. Whenever I post on Instagram boasting about how excited I am about a new garment, I am genuinely that excited for each piece; probably even more excited than I can really convey over social media. There are times when I want to wear a specific top, but get disappointed when I don’t have a handmade version. When that happens, I just add it to my never-ending list of things I want to make. Obviously, creating a handmade wardrobe takes time, which means I’ll just embrace the #slowfasion movement all the more.
Back to the Lonetree….
My next version will be a navy jacket with the hood with some lightweight twill I received for Christmas from Mood. I already have the snaps, zipper and cording and I’m thinking about actually using bias tape for the insides, assuming I buy the correct thing this time.
So that’s now two down on my #2017MakeNine list and only seven to go! I’m hoping to have Nick’s Fairfield shirt done soon and I’m slowly gaining the courage to jump into the world of sewing jeans!