December Sewing Recap

Here we are at the end of 2016!  As I mentioned in my previous post, I was able to finish 3 out of the 4 items on my December sewing list! I started the fourth, but I’m letting it sit for a while because I’m not 100% sold on it yet, but more on that in a bit.

My big sewing project for December was our Christmas pajamas.  If you missed the post, check it out here!

After finishing the pajamas, I sewed up the Marianne Dress by Christine Haynes.  My measurements put me at a 4, 6, and 8 for my bust, waist and hips, respectively.  I ended up blending the three sizes, but I think I probably could have just blended the 4 and 6 and it would have been just as well.  Oh, and I used the size 12 length.  I’m glad I did that because it would have been way too short for my liking, otherwise.  I also think that I could have lowered the neckline just a tad, but I’ll just keep that in mind whenever I make my next one.



I picked up this knit from Joann a month or so ago.  It’s such a pretty shade of red that just makes it the perfect winter color.  This dress is so comfortable that I’m planning on wearing it for our New Years get together tonight because it’s also easy to dress up.  I think it’ll also be perfect to wear to work.  Overall, this dress was a win-win!


The next pattern I tried is the Wrapped Cardigan by Seamly.  I sewed up a size small and I’m so happy with the fit.  I used this fabric, also from Joann.  Y’all.  This is sooo cozy.  I can already tell this is going to get so much use.  The instructions were well written and easy to follow.  This is another pattern I can definitely see myself making again.



Over the past year or so I’ve made a handful of items that I only wore once and are already in the give-away pile.  It’s such a waste.  Once I started to realize that, I’ve been trying to be more intentional on making articles of clothing that have  a place in my closet and that I know I’ll wear.  I think both the Marianne and Wrapped Cardigan will fit in perfectly!


The last pattern I said was going to try was the Gable Top.  Everything was going really well with the pattern until I went to try it on.  I sized up based on my measurements, not wanting it to be super tight, but it still was.  And it wasn’t like a flattering fitted shirt, it was tight, but also somehow made me look frumpy.  Frustration set in so I decided that I’m going to take a break from it for a couple weeks.  Maybe then I can figure out what I want to do with it. My inclination is that I should have used a different fabric.  However, I have slowly learned that nothing good comes from trying to finish a sewing project when you’re frustrated and not happy with it.    I’m not ready to give up on this pattern yet, though, because I really do like the style and silhouette.  I’ll have to keep you posted.

Overall, I’m really happy with what I was able to accomplish this month!  Stay tuned for what I’m hoping to work on and accomplish in 2017!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin’



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s